On Friday, a media report said that long before Saudi Arabia declared that it has executed one of the biggest mass executions in its history, some of the men sentenced to death claimed that they were innocent and their confessions had been written by those men who had tortured them.

Leaked medical reports which were allegedly prepared for King Salman showed that the political prisoners used to get tortured and had malnutrition.

The sources further revealed that the men made impassioned requests to save their lives and claimed that they have evidence of their abuse of their interrogators.

However, none of these statements shook the judges overseeing trials in 2016 and the suspects were accused of terror-related crimes and sentenced to death.

On Tuesday, Riyadh announced that 37 men had been executed, including three who were minors when the Kingdom said they carried out their crimes. One of the men was crucified after his execution, hanged up and was displayed as a warning to others.

The sources have hundreds of pages of documents from three 2016 trials which involved 25 of the men whose executions were announced this week. Eleven men were accused of working as an agent of Iran and 14 were found guilty of forming a “terror cell” during anti-government protests in the  Shia city of Awamiya in 2011 and 2012.

As per documents, one of the executed men, Munir al-Adam said, “Those aren’t my words… I didn’t write a letter. This is defamation written by the interrogator with his own hand”. In many other cases, suspects said they only gave their thumbprints nothing else and that the admissions were false and had been obtained through torture.

Saudi Arabia is yet to comment on this development. Saudi Arabia has one of the highest death penalty rates in the world. In January 2016, it conducted 47 people’s execution.

Related Articles
Next Story
Going Viral
Saudi Arabia Calls For Emergency Discussion Says Doesn’t Want War With Iran

Saudi Arabia Calls For Emergency Discussion Says Doesn’t Want War With Iran

by Susmita May 20, 2019
On Sunday, Saudi Arabia has called for emergency regional talks to discuss rising Gulf tensions and said that it does not want to fight with Iran but ready to defend himself. Two emergency summits were called in Mecca on May 30  to discuss recent "aggressions and their consequences", said the kingdom’s official sources. Gulf leaders and Arab League member states were invited by Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia made the announcement...