On Tuesday, the UN warned, that more than one billion young people are damaging their hearing power through the excessive use of smartphones and audio devices, by proposing safe volume levels.
The World Health Organization and International Telecommunications Union had already introduced a non-binding international standard for the manufacture and use of audio devices for safeguard hearing. The UN health agency said that almost 1.1 billion people, within the age of 12 and 35 are at risk due to “prolonged and excessive exposure to loud sounds, including music they listen to through personal audio devices.”
WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that the world already has “the technological know-how to prevent hearing loss”.
In a statement, the WHO chief stated, “It should not be the case that so many young people continue to damage their hearing while listening to music.” He advised the young people that they “must understand that once they lose their hearing, it won’t come back.”
As per reports near about 466 million people including 34 million children are suffering from disabling hearing loss.
WHO considers a volume above 85 decibels for eight hours or 100 decibels for 15 minutes as unsafe. To track the volume level and duration, the Safe listening devices and systems standard calls for a “sound allowance” software to be included in all audio devices. The system specially designed to alert the user automatically if they have dangerous listening habits.
Shelly Chadha of the WHO told reporters in Geneva about the Safe listening device that “Think of it like driving on a highway, but without a speedometer in your car or a speed limit.”
“What we’ve proposed is that your smartphones come fitted with a speedometer, with a measurement system which tells you how much sound you’re getting and tells you if you are going over the limit,” she added.

Related Articles
Next Story
Going Viral
Mohammad Bin Zayed To Visit China Next Week

Mohammad Bin Zayed To Visit China Next Week

by Susmita July 18, 2019
Shaikh Mohammad Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces is likely to make a state visit to China next week. On Thursday, Shaikh Mohammad announced his state visit on his official Twitter account. During the visit, Chinese President Xi Jinping and Shaikh Mohammad will discuss the comprehensive strategic cooperation between the two countries across various sectors. They will also...